UPDATE: As of 7:20 AM Thursday, January 18, 2024, all fixed-route and OnDemand has been fully restored following the winter storm that impacted our area this week.
Thank you for your patience!
PASSENGER INPUT LEADS TO
BIG CHANGES AT SPORTRAN IN 2024
Shreveport, LA --- Based on responses gathered from their Fall 2023 Community Feedback surveys, SporTran is implementing changes to several fixed-bus routes, extending our Zero Fare program, expanding Shreveport Saturday service, and growing service to several areas of Shreveport previously without a bus line beginning January 2, 2024.
About the 2023 Community Feedback Surveys:
On September 15, 2023, SporTran launched two Community Feedback surveys to gauge public transit passengers’ satisfaction with SporTran. Question topics included SporTran routes and schedules, programs like Zero Fare, safety, and customer service. The response window closed Monday, October 1, 2023.
SporTran leadership and transportation teams have spent months closely reviewing the survey results. Knowing transit riders have a unique and important perspective of what could work better, focus was given to all individual participant comments. Many of the community suggestions are solid, actionable ideas the agency is excited to enact.
Complete results from each survey are accessible here and on our website at https://bit.ly/CommunitySurveyReports.
Fixed-Route Surveys: Fixed-Route Survey Report
OnDemand Surveys: OnDemand Survey Report
Changes Coming in 2024
Several SporTran bus routes will see changes in 2024. Survey answers gave insight into underserved areas, routes that could be streamlined or combined, and the addition of OnDemand zones.
- A number of riders asked for expanded Saturday service, which SporTran will begin in January.
- Example:North Pines Road from I-20 Now Serviced By SporTran OnDemand!
- Riders currently wait an hour for fixed-route bus service in the North Pines Road area.
- SporTran is changing North Pines Road from fixed-route to OnDemand service so that community has access to free transit to their destination much faster.
- The full list of changes to each route will be released in the coming days.
In 2022, SporTran was awarded a federal grant to cover the cost of fare for our riders through December 31, 2023. The goal of the grant was to bring ridership back to public transit after passenger numbers across the nation fell during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Since implementing Zero Fare, SporTran ridership has increased an incredible 353%, demonstrating how great the need for public transit is in Shreveport-Bossier.
- A large number of SporTran’s Community Feedback Survey respondents asked for Zero Fare to continue. The expense of bus and OnDemand fare is a barrier to ridership for many. The survey requests for extended Zero Fare affirm comments from numerous community organizations who have seen a marked increase in access to their services and care with Zero Fare in place.
- SporTran is pleased to announce that all bus, OnDemand, and OnDemand ADA rides will remain Zero Fare throughout 2024.
Expanded Saturday Service
When COVID-19 hit in March of 2020, transit agencies across the country, including SporTran, were facing a public health emergency. How do you help stop the spread in a city bus?
- Passenger limits were established for all vehicles. This allowed for increased social distancing.
- In addition, Saturday service was reduced to limit the chance of infection for riders and staff.
- SporTran vehicles were cleaned and disinfected every 90 minutes.
Survey respondents requested that SporTran increase Saturday service in Shreveport and Bossier. SporTran agrees that increased Saturdays will open up the cities for shopping, dining, entertainment, family, and more.
- Beginning January 2, 2024, Saturday service in Shreveport will be restored to pre-covid levels.
- Full, pre-covid Saturday service will be restored to Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, & 26.
- The new Saturday service in Shreveport will mimic the weekday routes for the above list. Alternative routes on Saturdays will be eliminated to avoid redundancies.
- Due to budget constraints, Bossier City will not have night or weekend service in 2024.
Service Area Expansion
Rider input on the current SporTran bus routes was instrumental in the expansion of SporTran’s service area, providing public transit access to communities not previously reached.
New Service Areas Added in 2024:
- Southwood High School (Route 24-Walker Road)
- Woodlawn High School (Route 12-Kingston Loop)
- Wyngate Boulevard (Route 12-Kingston Loop)
- Bert Kouns Industrial Loop
- West 70th Street to Buncombe Road
SporTran CEO Dinero’ Washington expects the changes coming in January to greatly improve the transit experience for its customers.
“We decided to undertake public surveys in 2023 because our riders have more insight than anyone into what SporTran does right and what we can do better,” Washington says. “We were already contemplating efforts to make our service more robust; we knew we were on the right track after reading the public’s thoughts. Full Saturday service is back in Shreveport, and this is the first time in many years that we’ve expanded service into areas that have never had it before. That’s huge.
“Zero Fare has been huge for the community as well. People who depend on public transportation expressed over and over how much they’ve benefited, and the proof of need is in the numbers. Our ridership is up over 350% since Zero Fare began. Shreveport-Bossier has a nationally recognized, safe, modern public transit system. I encourage everyone to ride SporTran, whether it’s every day or every once in a while.”
BENEFITS AT SPORTRAN
SporTran offers an excellent Benefits Package which includes:
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance effective after 60 days of employment
- 401K Match (Administrative Employees)
- Eye Wear Reimbursement
- Health Care Flexible Spending Account
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Policy
- Company-Paid Term Life Insurance
- Optional Life Insurance
- Paid Vacation
- Personal Days
- Paid Sick Days
- Paid Holidays
- Bereavement Leave
- Jury Duty wage reimbursement
- Free employee bus pass